About Shaker Square

HISTORY

There’s no shortage of historical significance tied to Cleveland’s Shaker Square, the oldest planned shopping center in Ohio – and the second oldest shopping center in the nation.

Construction of Shaker Square began nearly a century ago in 1927 at the intersection of Shaker Blvd. and Moreland Blvd., where there was an existing public rail transit station (then known as the Shaker Heights Rapid Transit and currently the Greater Cleveland Rapid Transit Authority) connecting the suburbs to downtown. With the use of personal automobiles rising in the early 20th century, the shopping center stood out as one of the first of its kind to accommodate cars.

With the ability to draw residents from across Greater Cleveland, Shaker Square quickly established itself as a top dining and retail destination. Over the decades since its formation, Shaker Square has been home to a range of successful restaurants, businesses, offices, and community programming.

VALUE TO NEIGHBORHOODS

In addition to attracting visitors from throughout Cleveland and its surrounding suburbs, the Shaker Square retail district serves the daily needs of Cleveland’s Buckeye, Larchmere, Woodland Hills, and Shaker Square neighborhoods. Residents of these neighborhoods depend on the Square for its amenities such as a grocery store, pharmacy, and access to public transportation.


The 168,000 sq. ft. shopping center is home to multi-story, mixed-use retail space that directly supports more than 150 jobs.


KEY AMENITIES & SERVICES INCLUDE:

DINING, RETAIL, & NIGHTLIFE ATTRACTIONS INCLUDE: